Positive experiences can ease toxic stress and help children and youth grow into more resilient, healthier adults. HOPE identifies ways that our communities and systems of care can better ensure that all children have more positive experiences and that all families have support to nurture and celebrate their strengths.
The Four Building Blocks of HOPE are composed of key positive childhood experiences (PCEs). The sources of those experiences and opportunities are the foundation for healthy childhood development.
HOPE, grounded in science that demonstrates the formative role of positive experiences in human development, seeks to inspire a HOPE-informed movement that fundamentally transforms how we advance health and well-being for our children, families, and communities.
We see a world that honors and fosters positive experiences as being fundamental to everyone’s health and well-being.
Our Theory of Change
AS HOPE IMPLEMENTS our strategic actions, we build a collective understanding of the importance of positive experiences. All of our work is done in collaboration with partners who seek to develop HOPE-informed approaches to supporting children and families. We’re creating a paradigm shift in systems of care, communities, and policies to value and actively bolster positive experiences. This shift builds on our understanding of the power of relationships within families and communities and between those who provide and receive supportive services. Our goal is to improve empathy, drive respect for human dignity, and foster trust among families.
Our Guiding Principles
- WE HONOR the hope, goodness, and strength that exists inside every single one of us.
- WE BELIEVE in the goodness embodied by the deep loving relationships between parents and their children.
- WE SEEK TO CREATE equitable conditions for health and well-being so that all families and children have the opportunity to thrive.
- WE CELEBRATE our differences as our collective strength and speak out against racism and stereotypes for the harm they inflict.
- WE JOIN with others to advance the evidence of positive experiences to support health and well-being for all children and families.
- WE ACT with humility, respect, and gratitude for others in everything we say and do.